When storing Furniture, Climate-Controlled Storage Units are a Must.
Let’s face it, hot Kansas summer temperatures are on the rise…and they’re not going down any time soon. As if moving heavy furniture isn’t enough work, loading them into storage in the summer heat can be even more draining. Enter, climate-controlled storage!
Climate-controlled storage units not only keep you comfortable, but also help keep expensive, delicate, or antique furniture in great condition.
Why is a climate-controlled unit best for furniture storage? Some factors to consider:
- Wood – Water vapor in humidity can cause wood to shrink, swell, and crack. Crazy Kansas temperature fluctuations can also warp wood or loosen joints over time. Antiques have withstood years of use and often have high monetary and sentimental value. Keep them beautiful!
- Fabric – Upholstered furniture is very prone to picking up odors from a humid atmosphere. While you can wrap them short-term safely, fabric couches or chairs need to breathe. Pro tip: Cover fabric furniture with a sheet instead of plastic to protect it in a climate-controlled unit.
- Leather – Similar to leather upholstery in a car, hot and cold weather fluctuations can cause leather furniture to crack and wear down over time. Protect expensive leather furniture from the heat with climate-controlled storage.
- Humidity – During spring, we can count on Kansas storms to raise humidity levels. Without climate-controlled storage, furniture is prone to mold or mildew (which can grow rapidly within 24-48 hours).
- Length of storage – How long are you storing your furniture? Some furniture will be ok in non-climate controlled storage short-term. Long-term, consider protecting your furniture investments for years to come with a climate-controlled unit.
- Accidents – Having extra furniture around means an increased likelihood that a couch or table could get spilled on, knocked into, or forgotten about. That fluffy couch or Grandpa’s old chair in the garage might become home to critters and bugs or Grandma’s antique sewing table might get rusted & warped by humidity…or worse backed into by a car. Eek!
Be sure and save on a cheap climate-controlled storage unit near you at any of our 7 Wichita storage locations. Save 50% on your first month now with our move-in special!
3 responses to “Need Furniture Storage? Get a Climate-Controlled Unit!”
I appreciate what you said about assessing climate-controlled storage. I have a bunch of wood I need to store. I’ll have to consider getting a storage unit that keeps the wood from being warped.
Very nice… I really like your blog. Very useful information. Thanks.
It really helped when you elaborated on how leather furniture needs to be stored at the right temperature to prevent cracks and damage. I have an aunt who’s renovating her house next month, so I’m positive that she’d benefit from reading your insight since she has a lot of leather furniture that she’ll need to protect from the debris. I appreciate your advice on climate-controlled units and their benefits for furniture storage.